Topic: Auto Read/Write not working SX3

Can't get Read/Write buttons to work with my AlphaTrack in Cubase SX3.  I've got the plugin v 1.0.7 (tho when I get the properties of the .dll, the version tab says 1.0.5). 

The Read All/Write All works when in Auto mode!!! and everything works fine with my Tranzport.  When I click read/write in Cubase, the LEDs on the Alphatrack respond properly, I just can't get it working with a single track.

I've tried both Auto mode and Shift+Transport, neither work.  AT's display indicates v 1.0.7

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Carl

Last edited by carlmal (2010-11-27 15:46:42)

Re: Auto Read/Write not working SX3

Hi Carlmal,

You should just be able to navigate to a track in your project, press the 'auto' button on the AlphaTrack.  Select which type of automation you want (touch, write, read etc). Then press play and make your adjustments.  Then press stop, set the automation to 'read' and rewind a bit and then press play.  Did it record your automation?

Tell me exactly what steps you're taking to do this and let me know what you expect to happen in each step.

And what do you mean it works in auto mode but not in a single track?

CS

Sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you, my studio is ripped apart while I install acoustic treatments.

What I meant by auto enable a single track was using the shift+transport buttons to toggle read/write.  Same when I press the Auto button, the read/write buttons don't work, but Read All/Write ALL works???

I plan on getting things back in order this weekend and will report back.

Thanks.

Last edited by carlmal (2010-12-21 19:27:02)

Here's the steps I'm going through.

AlphaTrack v1.3.0/AlphaTrackCN_Win_v1.0.7.zip
Cubase SX3 v3.1.1
XP Pro SP2
Novation XStation v1.28
-Create an empty project
-Create 2 mono audio tracks
-Navigate to a track, press 'Auto' Mode
-Press encoder 1, both tracks are auto write enabled/disabled
-Turn encoder 1, both tracks are auto read enabled/disabled
-Touch encoder 2, it displays "Channel Read Off"

Pressing or turning encoder 2 does nothing.  If I toggle Channel Read with my mouse in Cubase, the Alphatrack's display and auto LEDs update properly.

-Encoder 3 "Write" behaves the same as encoder 2.

I know it isn't bad encoders because encoders 2 and 3 work fine in Send and EQ modes.

Shift+Record and Shift+Play, can't get those to work either.  If they did, at least I'd have a workaround.

Am I missing something?  Can anybuddy duplicate?  Do I need an older version of the plugin?  The manual states Cubase v4, I'm SX3.

Thanks,
Carl

Last edited by carlmal (2010-12-21 01:31:08)

Hi carlmal,

If I remember correctly, these were some of the features that were not available in that version of Cubase. I tried an AlphaTrack in Cubase 3.1.1 and got the same results. 

I did get some functionality out of using shift+play and shift+record for automation read/write control so I'm surprised to hear that didn't work for you. Does it do anything when you press shift in and press play or record?

CS

That feature must be available in Cubase as my Tranzport is able to toggle the automation buttons no problem.

I wasn't able to get the Shift+Record/Play to do anything from the Alphatrack, I will go home and try again to be sure and will report back if there is any change.

When I get the properties of AlphaTrackCN.dll it indicates v1.0.5, is yours the same?

Thanks for the help getting through this, much appreciated.

Carl

Hi carlmal,

Yes mine says 1.0.5 as well.  It's the 1.0.7 plug-in but if I hover over the .dll it says 1.0.5 the text just wasn't updated.  The latest plug-in should have a  date of 2/9/2009.

The Automation mode will only work for setting all tracks to read/write automation.  You'll need to use the shift+play and shift+record to set track automation.

If you press your AlphaTrack's play button in your project does the project play?  If you press and release your shift button does the shift button's red LED light up and flash?  (this is 'sticky shift' mode and it will go away when you hit the shift button a second time).  While the shift button is flashing press your play button.  Your track doesn't enable it's read automation state?

CS

Yes, pressing play the project plays.  In fact all controls work as they should except for encoders 2 and 3 when in AUTO mode.

When I press Shift, I get sticky shift (flashing), but when I press the play/record transport buttons when shift is flashing, I'm unable to toggle read/write.

Hi carlmal,

Have you tried unplugging the Novation (and any other controller), launch Cubase (with AlphaTrack only) and see if you get different results regarding shift+play and shift+record?

CS