Topic: TranzPort on PTLE/Vista

Hi

I have had TranzP for a couple of years, great device! I use it on PTLE digi 002. Recently purchased a Dell Precision w/vista32. I am using PTLE 8 w/latest update, also the latest update w/TranzP on the new computer. The problem is vista has alot of things running in the background that make PT unstable. I found that disabling Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and Windows Audio makes PT stable w/o any interruptions (dae errors -6088 ect.). When I turn these (2)functions off PT does not see TranzP anymore.
I have did all  the tweaks that digidesign has posted, and then some to avoid turning these (2)functions off, but no luck.
When I change the playback buffer to 128 is when I get this problem. If I set it to 256 or greater It's works w/no errors. the problem is when I record I use 128. My old compter w/XP worked fine w/128, and the new computer is much more powerful.
Is there anyway you can get the TranzP to work with Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and Windows Audio turned off?

Thanks, Tony

Re: TranzPort on PTLE/Vista

Hi Tony,

in short, no. Windows Audio service also drives the WDM MIDI layer even though it doesn't make that clear. TranzPort needs this for its MIDI ports to be seen by the operating system.  We have seen other general PT8/Vista issues mentioned on the DUC forums as well so hopefully Digidesign is working on further updates to PT8.

You're not alone in your dilemma. I think many people find that more computer horsepower and updated operating systems don't always result in a better recording environment.

One tweak that you may or may not have already tried is to make sure that your 1394 (firewire) interface IS NOT enabled as a network device in your Hardware Device Manager. Otherwise the computer will constantly poll the firewire port for network traffic that will never be there.

CS

Re: TranzPort on PTLE/Vista

CS

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check that tweak you mentioned,
I did notice that my midi keyboard, and guitar rig is still functional in PT ,It must not depend on these (2)functions to work.

Thanks, Tony