Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Topic: Alpha Track with CAT5e USB Extender and SAW

WestEnd wrote:

Hi Guys,

Well when it's working, AT is fantastic, but after having it just about 5 days it's only been working about an hour.

I'm using a CAT5e USB extender through a Belkin powered hub to connect the AT since my computer is in a small machine room about 25 feet away. I'm running SAWStudio on a fresh install of Windows XP. The AT is just acting erratically, turning on and off whenever it feels like it, messing up my MIDI port assignments on SAW at will, etc.

Based on all of the things I've read here so far I'm not sure what's wrong. My computer is heavily grounded, I can't account for the integrity of the data through the extender/powered hub combo, but it looks like these things have right next to the computer, which in my case is impossible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ken Dabek
West End Recording

CS:Hello Ken,

Can you try to connect the AlphaTrack directly to the computer as a test? I understand that you can't work that way normally but it might at least let you know if your Cat5 setup is inducing a problem. I have successfully used a small Geffin Cat5 extender at that length, so I know it can be done. You might also try an active USB extender cable instead of the Cat 5 if that is a problem.

Also, which side of the CAT5 is the powered hub on? It should be next to the AT.

Make sure that you don't have USB power saving enabled on your machine. As a few other on this forum have found, it can cause all sorts of headaches.

And try a different USB port for the whole setup. It could be a conflict happening somewhere.

CS

WestEnd wrote:

Yep! it was definitely the extender. I connected the AT directly to the DAW with a 3 foot USB cable and of course previously turned off the power saving features and it's been running perfectly for the last 12 hours. So it looks like I need a new extender.

Which Gefen model have you used? I was looking at the USB-1 as it is one of the less expensive models, I'm reluctant to spend $400.00 on a higher end model.

Thanks,

Ken Dabek
West End Recording

CS: I don't recall the model but USB-1 sounds right. It was pretty much their cheapest model.

You might also just try a cheap active USB extender cable with your powered hub on the ATs end if you only need to get 25'.

CS