Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Topic: You don't know what you got till it's gone

Dman wrote:

I was at a buddys studio yesterday and he doesn't have any kind of controller and I found myself constantly reaching for a fader that wasn't there only to have to grab the mouse and scroll to the fader. :(

Even one fader on a lonely controller can make such a difference on workflow. :)

That's all

CS:And THAT is what its all about. Sometimes its the simple things that we miss the most.

:D

edgetone wrote:

Well my story is similar, but in the other direction.

I came across a used Mackie Control for sale in town and contacted the fellow selling it. He mentioned that all he really needed was a single fader type solution, so I offered $200 plus my Alphatrack instead of the $400 he was asking for it. He took me up on it and I now had a nice 9 fader system with mucho buttons!

But after a week, I realized that I had made a big mistake. My workflow was so much more efficient with one hand on the mouse and one on the Alphatrack. Plus the Mackie was taking nearly half of my total desk space.

So, I sold the unit on Ebay, made my money back and purchased a new Alphatrack with my upgrade to Sonar 7. In the end I just about broke even, but I learned a valuable lesson. Sometimes more really is less.

Thought you would get a kick out of that.

CS:That's a great story Edgetone. Mackie Controls are cool too, and if that's what you are looking for they're hard to beat. But sometimes you really just need a few important controls without the distraction of all the rest. Glad to hear it all worked out in the end.

CS