Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Topic: Alphatrack only tracking first 8 channels in Ableton Live v6.0.10

EricC wrote:

My alphatrack only works correctly on the first 8 channels of my project.  All functions work fine for these channels.  When I select any channel higher than track 8 with my mouse the display on the Alphatrack will blink once but stay on the 1-8 track that it was on.  The fader and encoders under PAN will control the previous channel but when I select SEND the encoders will control the sends on the mouse selected channel.  AUTO seems to work as it should, as do all the transport controls.  I can use the track arrows to change the selected track on ableton but the alphatrack won't follow past track 8.  When a new project is loading Alphatrack's display will flash back and forth between track 1 and return A.  It will also flash this way when a track higher than 8 is selected, though it will go track1- returnA,track2-returnB,etc.  Untill there are no more returns then it will just flash intermittently.

I have tried this with my Korg Kontrol49 both connected and disconnected with all remote ports besides Alphatrack disabled.  Same results.  I have Live(MCU) on the Alphatrack selected before I open Ableton.  Ocassionally it will work for channels past 8 on a smaller project but if I add enough channels eventually it will show the same symptoms.  The template that I use most often has 38 tracks in it.

I just unistalled the drivers as per the instructions in the user guide and reinstalled.  Same results.  I'm at a loss with this right now.  Anyone have any suggestions?

EricC wrote:

Here's what I'm using in case it helps:

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000 Pentium M 730 with XP Home SP2(laptop) 2gb ram
Focusrite Saffire PRO 26i/o on onboard firewire port
Korg Kontrol 49 into USB
Glyph GT050 harddrive on Adaptec pcmcia firewire card
Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse on USB
Alphatrack into USB

Thanks

EricC wrote:

Just noticed another strange thing.  When I am controlling tracks 1-8, abletons midi remote in and out indicator lights in the upper right corner are off unless I am moving a controller on the alphatrack.  When I highlight a track 9 or above the lights blink rapidly without anything being changed on the alphatrack.  This is without the session playing.

Eric

EricC wrote:

Ok here we go again!

Tried the AT with Sonar 6 PE, no problems.  It was able to map fine in a project with 20 tracks.

Then I disconnected all my peripherals(Saffire pro, Glyph harddrive, firewire pcmcia card, mouse/keyboard, Kontrol 49) so only thing connected to my laptop was the AT.

Opened a new project in Ableton.  The only midi ports available in preferences was the alphatrack, which I set up under control surfaces with mackie control and enabled the remote in and out, and the laptop's internal microsoft wavetable synth which was set to off.

I was able to load 20 audio tracks until the AT stopped mapping to them, then same exact symptoms as described earlier.  This was completely blank audio tracks.  Task Manager was showing 4% cpu usage and 450mb PF usage.  So CPU was just coasting.  Turning the audio engine on and off in ableton(set to MME to connect with the laptops internal soundcard since the saffire was disconnected) caused the AT's fader  to jump but didn't correct the problem.  Delay Compensation also did not effect anything this time.

I'm going to try installing the AT on a different USB port and see what happens.  BTW I'm not using any hubs.  Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

EricC wrote:

Installed the AT on a new USB port, same problem.

So here's so more info on what's happening.  I start with a new project and start adding tracks.  When I hit somewhere around track 12-14 the AT's display starts to flash/glitch when I add a new track and stops mapping to any new tracks I make.  If I go back and select one of the lower numbered tracks it will then pickup the new tracks and I can add some more.  Once I hit 19-20 tracks it won't map to them anymore even if I select a lower number track.  This is with everything disconnected from the computer and minimal CPU/RAM usage.

Eric

EricC wrote:

Seems the trick is when adding tracks you need to add them from the left end of the session view and sort of "push" all the existing tracks down.  Then the AT sees them.  I was able to load 70 tracks and control then all fine.

I'd been adding the tracks from the right end of session view.  Weird.

Eric

EricC wrote:

Well, everything seems to be working now.  What seemed to finally make the difference was switching to pickup mode.  Not really sure why since the manual says it doesn't make a difference what its set to.  This has been a very weird problem, I really don't understand what was wrong or what I did to fix it but its working now so I'm happy!  The Alphatrack is really nice when its mapping everything.  All the controls for everything are super accessible.

Eric

CS:Hello Eric,

well thanks for taking the time to post over the weekend. Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating time, but happy to hear you found a solution that works. I haven't seen 'pickup' mode be effective before but then again I am not a Live expert, and there may be some scenario of factors that could make it necessary. Hopefully someone else will find your experiences helpful as well.

CS