Topic: Possible Bug Report

Alpha Track and Protools 8 LE. 

Platform:
Windows 7RC1 - 32bit

My alpha track is working fine with PT8 and Win 7.  I however suspect that Digi changed something in PT8 in regards to how some automation works. 

In the AUTO menu for the Alpha track, there are several options for enabling automation for different things, Vol, Pan, Mute, Insert, Send, Send Mutes...

For each option I try to set to 'OFF', it doesn't affect the outcome in Protools.  The INSERT does provide a visible feedback of when in Write mode that it is on/off.

Maybe I'm not understanding how enabling/disables each one in AUTOmation menu really functions.

If I CNTRL Click on each automation lane, that does disable the automation for that lane.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Re: Possible Bug Report

I just spent some time on ProTools was able to confirm this issue on our setup. It seems like a signal synchronization issue. Once we were locked in the 'off' position in automation mode, we couldn't get out of the 'off' position until we switched to another track and switched back. So you may be able to do that to get out of the 'off' setting, however, we found that the current touch mode that was left in the AlphaTrack's LCD for automation was then dumped to the next track when you switch the tracks.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention I'll forward this issue to the necessary people and we'll see what we can do about it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Possible Bug Report

Hi djgizmo,

If you launch ProTools with the AlphaTrack and in PT click on 'Window' on the menu bar on the top of your screen and select 'Automation' from the drop down menu (also CTRL+4).  This is what you would use to get feedback for what you described here:

"In the AUTO menu for the Alpha track, there are several options for enabling automation for different things, Vol, Pan, Mute, Insert, Send, Send Mutes...For each option I try to set to 'OFF', it doesn't affect the outcome in Protools. The INSERT does provide a visible feedback of when in Write mode that it is on/off."

These are global automation settings that should affect your entire project.
(more on top of page 9 about enabling/disabling global automation parameters)
http://frontierdesign.com/download/pdf/ … _v1.1a.pdf

So if you disable the 'Vol' you'll notice that when you try to use volume automation on any track that it is disabled. 

So I think what you described here is a non issue.  However, there is an automation related bug that we're working on:

"When AUTO is selected the track's automation mode (read, write, touch, etc.)isn't updated when you move to another track. You must press AUTO again, or touch and untouch the encoder to see or adjust its current state."

I hope this makes sense and I'll keep you updated about the latter issue.

CS