Topic: USB over current notice

All of a sudden now I'm getting a "USB over current notice: a usb device is currently drawing too much power. The hub it is attached to will be deactivated" with the AlphaTrack screen flashing when I startup my Mac pro.
It's happened twice now for no apparent reason.  It's been set up the same since I got the Macpro with the AT in the front native port. If I unplug it and wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in it works as normal....and the front inputs aren't disabled as the error states...the other devices plugged in there are working....so what's going on here and why all of a sudden?

Re: USB over current notice

Hi Gothboy,

Does it do this if you plug it into another free USB port on your computer?  Not sure why this would happen all of a sudden.  You may also want to try using a powered USB hub to see if that helps any.

CS

It's not in a hub...it's plugged into the front native port on my Mac Pro...that's what's perplexing me.

In this situation I WOULD try a powered hub to see if it helps.

CS

Umm....it's IN a powered hub!  The one on the front of the Mac Pro...it's native.

I've been having the same intermitant problem on my macpro for a while now. The usb is plugged into the back and I never had this problem before the Alphatrack. (Which I love!)

If I unplug the Alphatrack, the problem goes away.

I also noticed that when the USB overload error happens, if I unplug any other USB devise first, the error remains until I unplug the Alphatrack.

Another side effect of this USB overload is that when I shut down the mac, it restarts instead. This is intermittant but only happens after a USB overload. I sort this by repairing Disk permissions.

I was wondering if it was just me..........

Hi all,

Bought my Alphatrack yesterday and got the very same USB Over Current Notice as soon as I plugged it in.

I checked with my friend who has the same device and he plugs directly into his MacBook without the use of a powered hub and it works fine. (This is exactly why I bought this product!!!)

So any ideas support?

Hi mostar76,

davros seemed to have some luck by repairing permissions on his mac. So I'd try that and see if it seems to help. To repair permissions just go to (Go/Utility/Disk Utility/Repair Disk Permissions).

CS

Hi CS,

Thanks for the info, I did trying repairing the permissions and it didn't help, so I bought a powered USB hub and that has fixed it.

It does seem that on some machines it needs a bit of a power boost.

I never had this issue with my G4 and I'm not sure but I think I had it plugged into a usb pci card I Installed...can't remember exactly....but certainly an issue with Intel.  It happened again this morning upon bootup.  I unplugged it and then plugged while bootup was happenning and it worked fine from there.  What's odd is that for the first few months of having the Mac Pro this didn't happen.