Topic: Tranzport is discontinued

I assume a new model is coming out. Any further info??

I'd love to buy one, but no one is selling them anymore. They all tell me, "discontinued".

Re: Tranzport is discontinued

I just purchased one from Amazon.  I had no idea it was discontinued.  I hope they support it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

vsri wrote:

I assume a new model is coming out. Any further info??

I'd love to buy one, but no one is selling them anymore. They all tell me, "discontinued".

You assume too much.  I've had my TranzPort for a few years now and love it, but Frontier Design Group isn't exactly a prolific company.  No updates to a product in over 3 years to a leading product speaks volumes.

They still "officially" don't have working drivers for Vista SP2 32/64 (sleep mode bugs still abound), and there's no word on Windows 7 drivers at all.

It's too bad - I love their TranzPort and would even pay for updated proper drivers at this point.  Perhaps we'll see a new product that's not an iPhone app... ;^p

On an unrelated note, my forum registration was deleted from their site for some reason.  I just re-registered.  No idea why that happened.

*shrugs*

I found it on Amazon and purchased it.  I used it with Sonar and Win XP and it works great.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

charleyrich wrote:

I found it on Amazon and purchased it.  I used it with Sonar and Win XP and it works great.

That's great to hear but I'm not surprised... WinXP is almost 8 years old.  It's their Vista support that's a joke. Mine works fine on 32-bit but 64-bit is hit and miss.

If you want to use the AlphaTrack in both Sonar 32 and 64 then you'll need to follow the instructions at:

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack/Downloads

scroll to the plug-in section and find:

Sonar 32-Bit AlphaTrack plug-in

In that zip folder is a read me file with instructions to use the AlphaTrack in both versions of Sonar. 

Unfortunately there is a problem with Vista on shutting down and the only quick fix is to unplug the device prior to shutting down your computer.

It is not that we have turned a blind eye to the issue. If it were a simple driver tweak we would certainly have done it long ago. Unfortunately the solution appears more complicated than that.
This also happens on some Vista computers but is not consistent with all machines. Some, like an XPC machine in my office, do not exhibit the problem at all.

CS

Can you explain why the product was discontinued?

Thanks,

Charley

Given the economic downturn and the already long life span of TranzPort, we concluded this was the best time to end manufacturing of TranzPort.

We'll continue to offer customer service on TranzPort through email and our website.

CS

Will it be supported on Windows 7?

Thanks,

Charley

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

Given the economic downturn and the already long life span of TranzPort,

Ummmmm..... economic downturn is one thing. That I can understand. But the 'already long life span' statement has me stumped. It's only been out for a little over 5 years with no replacement model, correct? Or do you mean that the product will last forever and whoever is going to buy one has done so already?

Last edited by dougb256 (2009-09-02 15:32:09)

Hi charleyrich,

Check the following thread for information on using AlphaTrack in Windows 7:

http://frontierdesign.com/forums/topic/ … update-go/

CS

dougb256 wrote:

Given the economic downturn and the already long life span of TranzPort,

Ummmmm..... economic downturn is one thing. That I can understand. But the 'already long life span' statement has me stumped. It's only been out for a little over 5 years with no replacement model, correct? Or do you mean that the product will last forever and whoever is going to buy one has done so already?

I think what they're saying is that the sales volumes have dropped to the point that they can no longer manufacture them in large enough batches to make the current retail price sufficiently profitable.

Given the economic downturn and the already long life span of TranzPort, we concluded this was the best time to end manufacturing of TranzPort.

CS

I'm having serious trouble making this make sense.  Of all products, the Tranzport is one that ALL small studios MUST have.  It has a cost to benefit ratio that pretty much smacks it out of the park.

Others have mentioned the so called "long life span".  How can 5 years be a long life span when Alesis is still manufacturing the SR-16 after, what...15? 20 years?

Will the company be willing to provide us (the end users) with the coding necessary to program the Tranzport to our particular applications?

I have used the Tranzport for years on Apple computers, but when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, OS10.6, Tranzport no longer communicated with my MacPro.  Really too bad.  It's the only product that connects me with my studio.  Help!

Hello,

I've been using Tranzport for several years now under PTLE Win XP with no problems. I loved it actually. Now I've recently upgraded to PTLE 8.04 in Windows 7 - 64bit. The newest Tranzport driver installed fine (v. 1.5.0), and I set up the peripherals settings in PTLE as usual. However, I am getting a "protools is unable to communicate with HUI" error. The settings seem to be correct - battery is good - opened PTLE as "Run as Administrator"  - still no go. The lights on the USB Tranzport module,  and the Tranzport remote itself both are on - but still the error. Has the new driver actually been tested in PT 8.04 (LE) or 8.1 (HD)? Any suggestions?

rbtjonas wrote:

I have used the Tranzport for years on Apple computers, but when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, OS10.6, Tranzport no longer communicated with my MacPro.  Really too bad.  It's the only product that connects me with my studio.  Help!

That's probably because Mac Pros (I'm told) boot into 64-bit mode by default.  You could set it up to boot in 32-and the Tranzport should work fine.  I'm having to trouble in 32-bit and 10.6.4 but there is still no 64-bit driver.

However, according to this thread,

http://frontierdesign.com/forums/post/1739

they are working on it.

Here's hoping it arrives soon.

Last edited by pjl (2010-09-23 00:58:49)

Hi Annabelle,

The decision to discontinue the TranzPort wasn't an easy one but it was due largely to the recent demand/economic downturn and not because there is a replacement product in the works.  We will still continue to provide support and repairs to our legacy products.

Thanks for your support.

CS

pjl,

The TranzPort and AlphaTrack will both work with the Mac's 64-Bit kernel (and Logic's 64-Bit version as well).  Just go to the following page to download the latest drivers:

(v1.4.3)
http://frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Downloads

CS

pjl,

The TranzPort and AlphaTrack will both work with the Mac's 64-Bit kernel (and Logic's 64-Bit version as well).  Just go to the following page to download the latest drivers:

(v1.4.3)
http://frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Downloads

CS

So here's my question. I'm looking at AlphaTrack as my DAW controller and purchasing thru Guitar Center. Why don't they offer PRO Coverage on your products?  That worries me.

Hi harpman,

I'm not sure, I'll have to check into that and get back to you.  In the meantime, I just wanted to touch base with you so you know we're not ignoring you.

CS

Hi harpman,

What Guitar Center store did you go to?

CS