Topic: Does AT change tracks when selecting tracks with a mouse?

I was looking at the AlphaTrack and FaderPort at a local music store. 

The sales person said that if the AT is on a particular track and you select a different track with the mouse, the AT doesn't change its focus to the track you selected with the mouse.  You have to move the focus to that track with the AT's track button.  He said the FaderPort will advance automatically to the track selected by the mouse, so it is a better choice.  (This would be with Sonar, if that matters.)

Was he correct about the AT not automatically changing focus to the track selected by the mouse?

Last edited by dalemccl (2009-06-25 17:13:47)

Re: Does AT change tracks when selecting tracks with a mouse?

That actually incorrect.  The AlphaTrack will adjust to whichever track is currently highlighted.  You will be able to select a track with your mouse and the AlphaTrack will update itself and reflect the currently selected tracks information.

This is normal behavior for just about all the apps.  In some applications like Cubase you'll need to enable a setting somewhere called 'sync project and mixer' but you don't have to do that in Sonar.

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

That actually incorrect.  The AlphaTrack will adjust to whichever track is currently highlighted.  You will be able to select a track with your mouse and the AlphaTrack will update itself and reflect the currently selected tracks information.

This is normal behavior for just about all the apps.  In some applications like Cubase you'll need to enable a setting somewhere called 'sync project and mixer' but you don't have to do that in Sonar.

CS

Are 100% sure about this?  From my experience with Pro Tools 8, you have to SHIFT+WINDOWS KEY+Click to get the hui lanes to move with clicking.

Can you advised on how to make this easier in PT?

In ProTools that's true.  This depends on what version of ProTools you have and whether you are on a PC or a Mac.

For example: If you are on a Mac, either:
Press CTR+Click a track or
Press Shift+CTR+Click a track

If you are on a PC, either:
Right click on a track or Shift and right click on a track

I think the shift is implemented on ProTools 7.3 and later, though I could be wrong, but it's one of those.

CS

My AT used to respond fine to channel changes via the mouse, however, recently it's stopped doing this properly and I have to use the AT's track selector. This has been happening ever since I did a full scan with Ad-Aware on my PC. I've tried using different versions of the driver but with no success, and made sure 'sync project & mixer in Cubase (SX3) is enabled. Nothing seems to work though.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Hi Rich-Milner

Keep 'sync project & mixer' enabled in Cubase, that's the setting you want.  You should also confirm that you have the latest plug-in in

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubasesx3\Components.

If you're not sure, then you can get the latest Cubase plug-in for the AlphaTrack here:

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack/Downloads

(Manually place the file AlphaTrackCN.dll into the folder -C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubasesx3\Components)

And replace any version that was in there.  There should only be one plug-in in the components folder.

CS

Hi CS,

Sorry for the late reply on this one, but thanks for the advice. Alphatrach up and running great. Love it to bits. My favourite bit of kit for my tiny home studio!

Rich Milner