Topic: AlphaTracks' future?

In the coming year I'll be looking to replace my midi controller with something new, either a Novation Remote SL or an M-Audio Axiom pro.  The Novation uses Automap and the M-Audio uses hypercontrol to directly map controls AND my DAW...in this case primarily Pro Tools...so it brings up the possibility that my AlphaTrack could become obsolete at that point.  So with these new controllers coming out that enable you to mix on them I'm wondering how FDG plans on keeping up with all that as the price of an AT is about 1/2 of the cost of some of these controllers.

Re: AlphaTracks' future?

I don't believe those other controllers you mentioned have touch sensitive motorized faders, do they?  If so, then price-wise it's not quite a fair comparison.  Also the 1/2 the cost figure is true for only the 25 key versions of the products you mentioned.  Your needs may be different, but personally I find 49 keys to be the bare minimum to be useful and that's just for the keyboard that sits in front of my monitor (original Axiom 49), when I want to add a part in a hurry.  I have a 61 key controller (an old Oberheim XK from the days when they used METAL and WOOD to build controllers!) when I have to *try* to play something for real... which ain't so good since I play keyboards like a guitar player! LOL

I don't believe the faders are motorised but they ARE touch sensitive...and that technology is right around the corner for them to...you better believe that.
It's "Almost perfect" for me too....but "Almost" isn't quite the whole nine yards is it?  The problem I'm having with the AT is that it doesn't interact with 3rd party plugins too well...it's limited...and from what I've seen so far there hasn't been ANY updates for this thing to bring it up to date and bring to it anything new.  Don't you find that a bit odd since you have all these ideas for what it could be used for?
     There ARE 61 key versions of those controllers!  They'll be cheaper in a few months....I use a 61 key Radium 61 and a bunch of hardware synths too.

Last edited by Gothboy (2009-07-01 19:24:27)

In the end I decided to go with the Novation Remote Zero SL(The keyless one to go along with the Radium61) and no it's not touch sensitive as it's the older model but the price was right and it now has Automap 3.2.  I haven't used it yet...I'm just reading the manual and getting used to the concept of how it works.  It was either a Behringer BCR2000 or the Novation but I went with the Novations mainly because of the scribble strips so I can actually see what I'm doing.  I'm going to integrate it with the AT using the AT for Digi plugs/transport and the Remote for synth and 3rd party plugins.  I'll update this post as I get more into it.  I still love my AT don't worry.  I just needed more knobs and rely less on the mouse.