Topic: Logic Express?

Hey e'budy; new to Alphatrack
I'm trying to get Alphatrack to work on
logic express and Garageband.
I've downloaded the Mac driver and the plugins for G/band and
Logic.
The driver is fine and the A/T icon is at the top rt hand corner where it's supposed to be.
When I try to open the G/Band or the Logic plugin
I get this message:
Invalid file location: a folder exists with the same name!
Error while parsing OpenTL file. abort
The document “AlphaTrack-GB.bundle” could not be opened.

Older Mac G/5 tower dual 1.8 cpu's Logic express 08 I life 08 G/Band 1.8.2

Help please.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Logic Express?

Hello Mike,

No problem. I'm not sure why you are trying to open the plug-in file but that's where you are running off course. The AlphaTrack-GB.bundle and AlphaTrack.Bundle file should be copied, just as they are, into their respective applications.

Refer to the Logic Guide and Garageband Guide pdf files on the AlphaTrack Documents section for full details for setting up and using AlphaTrack. - http://frontierdesign.com/Support/Downloads

Here is the procedure for Logic, Garageband works in a similar way.

"To install the AlphaTrack.bundle controller plug-in file into Logic it is important to follow these steps
carefully and remove/replace any existing version that may already be in place.
Open the Mac’s Applications folder and locate the ‘Logic Pro’ application icon (do not launch Logic).
1. CTRL+Click, or Right-Click on the icon, and select “Show Package Contents” from the menu that
appears. Do not launch the Logic application.
2. Open the folder “Contents” to access the folder “MIDI Device Plug-Ins”.
3. AlphaTrack.bundle goes inside the MIDI Device Plug-Ins folder and should replace any previous
version that may already exist there.
4. Launch Logic 8 normally. Go to Preferences/Control Surfaces and select “Rebuild Defaults” if necessary.

Give that a try and see if things go better.

CS

Thanks Central Scrutinizer.
That got it working!
Not being an engineer I'm not sure
what to do.
I can get G/band to work however
with logic express I can play and rewind but
thats about all.
Thanks for your time.
Mike.

Hi Mike,

glad to hear GB is working but we should be able to get Logic sorted out too if you want.

Tell me as much as you can about how you set it up and I will do my best to help.

CS

Central Scrutinizer:
I set up L/express as per their instructions and
primarily use it recording one track at a time.
I don't know much about editing and mixing as I perform
more than I record but I've some original as well as cover
songs that I've been asked to record.
I can learn this stuff but I'm unfamiliar with most of the terms
and seem to do the "thousand yard stare" when attempting to
read them.
I'm not interested in becoming a rec. engineer but don't have the resources to hire it out.
The process is interesting and I can muddle through as I'm retired and have a bit more time.
Any help is appreciated and you've been most helpfull.
m.

hello, sirs,
I'm encountering a similar problem.  AT with GB works like a charm.  Logic Express 8, not so much.  I've meticulously followed the directions for installing the plug-in.  The prefs in control surfaces seem to match everything in the install manual.  I have a generic keyboard controller icon in the surfaces setup.  i've tried deleting that and restarting.  I've rebuilt defaults repeatedly.
The AT fader seems to be working fine for whatever track i'm on...transport controls work as well.  the display doesn't follow what i'm doing...it's just stuck on 'Audio 1.'
Any help you could give me would be great.  Love this thing and wanna make it happy in Express.

Hello guitar4nadine,

It may be that you have Track Lock enabled in your setup. Go to Logic/Preferences/Control Surfaces/Setup. Highlight the Alphatrack icon (it is ok that it appears as a genaric keyboard) and look down the colomn on the left. Near the bottom is a box labeled "Track Lock". Be sure that it is NOT checked.

CS

hello...thanks for taking the time to reply.  the lock to track button is unselected (was by default), but still no change in the display.  when i switch tracks on-screen, the fader adjusts to that track's volume...so, it's picking up track info, it's just not reflecting it on the LCD.  any further help would be great!  ~g4n

Does the AlphaTrack Manager show that it is set to "Logic" mode? Do other functions and displays on AT seem to work? ie. can you set Send levels or EQ for the track ok?

Are all of your tracks visable in the Arrange view (logic requires this)?

CS

alpha track is set to Logic mode.  Other functions work fine.  eq and sends, etc.  all track are visible.  display is still stuck reading 'audio 1' even though i'm switching tracks on screen.  also, if i hit the track 'advance' button, it always selects track 1.  ??  again, thank you for your patience in troubleshooting this with me.

Is your first track a multi-output VSTi by chance? The way Logic presents those to AlphaTrack currently confuses it. If that is the case try rearranging your tracks to see if it makes a difference.
If this is not the case here are 2 other things to try.
1. Try a new empty  project. Does that behave any differently?
2. Try deleting your Logic Preferences file. This is from the Apple Troubleshooting guide:

Delete the User Preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro back to its original settings. This will not impact your song files. To reset your Logic Pro user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences. Note: The tilde (~) represents your Home folder.
   2. Remove the "com.apple.logicpro.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
   3. Drag the "Logic" folder from the Preferences folder to your Desktop. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You can import your key commands from the copy on your Desktop by following the instructions of the Logic Pro  Reference Manual. If you use the Project Manager you will also need to rescan your system.

CS

trashing the prefs worked!  hooray!  i just have to relearn or reload some other midi assignments and i'm on my way.  thank you SO much.  i'll spread the word about this great controller.  love it.

That's great news. Glad to hear you are up and running.

Enjoy,

CS

BTW...for anyone else who's having similar problems.  I think that this whole problem was related to the way i had initially set up my axiom49 keyboard prior to installing the alphatrack.  i had assigned the faders on the keyboard and i think that it was interfering with the alphatracks midi map.  trashed the prefs and AT worked fine.  went back to reassign midi messages to axiom faders and i had a problem again.  i know it's redundant to have two sets of faders, but i thought it was worth a shot.  anyway, AT is working fine and it's much better than the tiny faders on my axiom, so there you have it.