Topic: Issue with SONAR and AlphaTrack

I am running SONAR 7.01 64bit on a Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit system.  I have installed alphatrack vers 1.2.0.  The applet starts up and indicates AlphaTrack Native.  The dll's are where they are supposed to be.  I start up SONAR and it asks for MIDI inputs.  I select the Alphatrack both for Input and Ouput.  I go to Options/Controller Surfaces and that brings up the add controller dialog.  I select Frontier AlphaTrack as the controller and set the input/output to alphatrack as well.  I close the dialog box but when I open it again the choices are wiped out.  The settings won't stick.

I saw one other post on this and the advice was to call SONAR Support as it looked like a SONAR issue.  Unfortunately, having just had a discussion with them, they will not own it.  The tech's advice was to add a ACT/MIDI controller, which did work and the settings did stick.  HOWEVER, everything has to be set up by hand, which quite frankly at this point I am willing to do.  So my questions...

1) I have seen posts regarding 32 installation.  Is there anything special I should be doing in this 64 bit environment?
2) In lieu of some real technical guidance from SONAR, would you have advice on how to set the slider and/or trackstrip at the bottom of the alphatrack so I can at least use it?

I appreciate any advice/guidance you give me...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Issue with SONAR and AlphaTrack

Hello acousticplayer,

Am I correct in understanding that you are running a 32-bit version of SONAR on your 64-bit System? If so, then that may be the clue to the answer and the fix both. If the AlphaTrack installer detects a 64-bit operating system it automatically installs the 64-bit plug-in for SONAR. It can't tell that you have the 32-bit version instead.

Go to our website downloads page at http://frontierdesign.com/Support/Downloads and scroll down to the SONAR 32-bit Plug-In. That file includes instructions for installing it. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

CS

No, I am using SONAR 64 Bit (Home Studio 7.01) on a 64 bit computer (VISTA Home Premium).  I am going to try and upgrade to 8.0 Studio which cakewalk says "should" behave better with the drivers etc...

It seems to install ok, I just cannot get the settings to stick.  I also have reaper and it seems to work fine within that application.

So any help on getting SONAR to accept the settings or manually setting up the setting in ACT (Which is what sonar recommends).  However if I set it up manually, how do I get the track names, mute solo and the drag strip at the bottom to all work?

Like I said, I think this is a cakewalk issue but have really not gotten them to even admit there is a problem at this point...  I will try the 32 bit plugin and see if I can get that funtional?

thanks

Actually, with AlphaTrack you really want to use the Native mode Plug-in and not set the whole thing up in ACT. Alphatrack does support some ACT functions within even within the plug-in configuration but the plug-in is tailored for SONAR and is quite good.

We have tested AlphaTrack with SONAR since version 2 so it should work correctly. We have seen your symptom a couple of times and it usually ends up being something fairly simple. Like a corrupt prefs file or version mismatch somewhere. If you are still having this problem after upgrading to Sonar 8 let us know and we will try to help you sort it out.

CS

Just wanted to close out the topic.  I did upgrade to SONAR STUDIO (not HOME) 8.0 and it appears everything is working.  I haven't put it through it's paces yet, but so far everything seems to be working as expected.

In talking with SONAR, it seems that the Home Studio is a "very different" product and has never been thoroughly tested (or supported) on Windows Vista 64.

I do appreciate the support and quick responses on this forum and look forward to using it.

thanks!
-ap

Thanks for the update AP. Good to hear you found a solution.

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

acousticplayer wrote:

No, I am using SONAR 64 Bit (Home Studio 7.01) on a 64 bit computer (VISTA Home Premium).  I am going to try and upgrade to 8.0 Studio which cakewalk says "should" behave better with the drivers etc...

It seems to install ok, I just cannot get the settings to stick.  I also have reaper and it seems to work fine within that application.

So any help on getting SONAR to accept the settings or manually setting up the setting in ACT (Which is what sonar recommends).  However if I set it up manually, how do I get the track names, mute solo and the drag strip at the bottom to all work?

Like I said, I think this is a cakewalk issue but have really not gotten them to even admit there is a problem at this point...  I will try the 32 bit plugin and see if I can get that funtional?

thanks

OK...I'm picking up where this thread left off.  I am running Vista 64bit edition with Sonar Producer 32bit (I'm running BFD2 which will not run in a 64bit environment, at least not yet anyway, which is why I'm running Sonar32 bit).  I am having the exact same problem described herein.  The Native Controller won't "stick".  I tried everything but no luck. 

After reading this thread, I'm trying to get it to work as an ACT Surface" ...so far, nothing seems to work whatsoever.

OK...nevermind. I think I have everything under control now.  I forgot to "register" the DLL's from the command prompt.

Question: I tried to uninstall everything as noted in the instructions, however, I was completely unable to change the permissions to full control to delete the registry values. 

This is really A LOT of work to remove this thing.  Do you plan to modify the uninstall so we don't have to go through ALL such cumbersome steps to completely uninstall the software and devices? 

When we select remove "AlphaTrack Driver 1.2.0" from the Programs and Features (add/remove programs), what exactly is being removed if we had to perform ALL the above steps?

Thank you,
Tony

Hello Tony,

I think we can help. If you are running the 32-bit version of SONAR on a 64-bit operating system you will need to manually install the 32-bit AlphaTrack plug-in. The main AlphaTrack installer can only detect the operating system version and doesn't know the app doesn't match.

Go to our downloads page (http://frontierdesign.com/Support/Downloads) and grab it from the "Plug-Ins" section. The download includes instructions on how to install the .dll file.

Try it out and let us know if you are all set.

CS