Topic: Alphatrack with PT 8

Hi! I'm having a problem with my AT... I've instaled it on a XP system and in a OS X without any problems, but now I tried it on a Vista, and it doesn't work, at least part of it. I have the stop/play command, plus the zoom in/zoom out, but nothing else works, and Protools 8 keeps saying that the hui device cannot be found... Any ideas? Thanks...

Re: Alphatrack with PT 8

Hello Otta,

Can you confirm that you have set the AlphaTrack's mode to "ProTools(HUI)" on its task bar icon?

Is "Frontier AlphaTrack" selected for both 'Send To', and 'Receive From' in the MIDI Controllers setup?

We have also heard that the initial release of PT8 had issues with recognizing connected MIDI devices so make sure that you have any PT updates available installed.

Let us know as much detail as you can and we'll go from there.

CS

Hello..! The Alphatrack is set to HUI on the taskbar, and in the PT 8 midi peripherals is set to hui and alphatrack both in the send and receive option. This is  the PT 8.0 version, but it's exactly the same program instaled earlier on a XP, without any problems. I also discovered that the alphatrack´s touchpad is also working on the PT session, as well as the zoom in and out command and the play and stop, although the rest of the commands don´t work, and PT keeps sending the error message. Both the computers are laptops, a 4 years old VAIO with the XP, and a brand new HP with the Vista... Any clues?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Well the error message simply means that Pro Tools isn't seeing MIDI traffic going both ways (In and Out) from AlphaTrack.

Check this thread on the Digidesign DUC forums.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.ph … MIDI+ports

It talks about just this problem with Vista vrs XP with several different pieces of hardware. On the 2nd page someone says that one of his other plug-ins seemed to be causing the problem. Might be similar to your situation.

CS

Hi. I checked the DUC forum, and it seems I´m not the only one having problems with Alphatrack on Vista. Many people have the same problem, with the same errors, having the stop/play and other commands working... No one seems to have a solution. This is not good...

You can use a program like MIDI-Ox to verify that Windows is seeing both Input and Output MIDI ports for the AlphaTrack. If MIDI-Ox looks ok then you know that the ALphaTrack is at least running properly and the problem is likely within Pro Tools. If MIDI-Ox isn't seeing both AlphaTrack ports then Pro Tools isn't at fault and we should look elsewhere for the problem.

We are also watching the Duc forums and any messages/updates from Digi concerning this problem as it affects hardware from all manufacturers, including Digidesigns own. So far it has been intermittent so there may be some factor that triggers it only on random machines. Many of those who have reported this problem appear to work fine under PT7.

If we learn there is anything we can do to fix it we will immediately.

CS

Yeah I'm having the same issue with the Alphatrack. I think it would be a waste of money if I have to drop my PT version back down to 7.4 just to use this thing.
There's no answers on the DUC. I've tried a ton of restarts and disconnects and reconnects and nothing. I thought this thing was better than the Presonus version?

I may have to return this thing if your drivers won't work on the most widely used DAW on the planet.

Hello damionhill,

Sorry to hear you are among those having this problem. I understand your frustration.

But I think the point we are trying to make here is that it doesn't appear to be a problem specifically with the AlphaTrack's drivers. In fact, if you are seeing it with your AT then you will likely have the same problem with the Presonus or any other midi controller. Even one made by Digidesign themselves. For some reason, and only on certain machines, PT just isn't outputting the MIDI messages that it should.
On my office machines for example, I have no problems with PT8 and AlphaTrack. But we don't know why some folks do.

Some on the DUC forum have suggested that they fixed their setup by re-installing, or repairing PT8 AFTER installing the control surface drivers. As if maybe PT8 only sees drivers that are already in place when installed. But this looks like it didn't help in every case.

Other have tried deleting all of their Pro Tools Permissions folders. So far we don't know precisely what will work for everyone.

I just want you to be aware of the situation so that you don't get further frustrated if other gear doesn't work too.

CS

I will try reinstalling Pro Tools 8 and see what happens. I got a support message from a "MIke" and he said to try updating my service pack on Pro Tools. I did so and nothing.

I will reinstall and check back. thank you for your time!

-Damion Hill-

AS I suspected. Nothing happend... This is unreal. I don't have time to be wasting with compatability issues. I think your company should let people know that it is only usable with Pro Tools 7.4.
And that it depends on your system if you can use it with Pro Tools 8. I can't beleive that I upgraded to Pro Tools 8 just to not have my control surfaces work with it.

Haven't you guys contacted Digi to figure out what the issue is. I am so upset. I have to return this. I can't be wasting my time with this.