Topic: User Function in Sonar

I'm using Sonar 8PE.   I'd like to assign a function key on the AT to a key binding in Sonar.  Specifically, I'd like to send shift-x to Sonar (to control the X-ray functioin) when I press the F4 button.

The AlphaTrack Sonar Plugin doc (v1.0.4) says on page 6 that you can assign a function button to any key binding. But the AlphaTrack Tools panel in Sonar has drop-down lists with only the Sonar menu picks, such as Edit|New.

How do I set this up?

Re: User Function in Sonar

Hello MurMan,

The 'Key Bindings'  in the SONAR plug-in doc are actually referring to the command set in the Sonar/Options/Key Bindings list rather than simple key stroke emulations. The Sonar/Tools/AlphaTrack menu gives you a shortcut for setting those up put doesn't offer all of the potential options of Sonars complete Key Bindings page. For instance, context sensitive pairings can only be made using Sonar's own Key Bindings page.

There may also be better abilities to bind key stroke combinations but I am not sure of that. However the Key Bindings list is pretty extensive and includes the ability to open/close most windows and functions.

So, if you can't find what you are looking for in the AlphaTrack Tools menu, check out the Sonar/Options/Key Bindings panel and perhaps you can find it there. Just remember, if you start editing with the Key Bindings panel, it will supercede anything that you have setup on the AlphaTrack Tools menu.

CS

Thanks Moderator.

I'm not sure that I fully understand on the first reading what you said, so I'm going to think about it when I have more time.

I may be back for clarification.

Thanks.

CS,

After reading your reply and re-reading the Sonar help files on Key Bindings, I think I understand what's going on.  Bear with me while I re-state a few things.

In my original post, I asked how to get the AT to send SHIFT-X to Sonar so that I could use the AT to control the Sonar X-ray feature.  Referencing the SHIFT-X key was a mistake.  What I should have asked is why can't I set up an AT user function key to control the X-ray function.

When I open the Sonar/Options/Key Bindings list, I see a long list of functions that I can trigger using keys or MIDI notes.  The list is organized into several sections: Menu Commands, Extra Commands, CAL Program Files, Global Layout Files, and StudioWare Files.

From what I see, the AT user function supports only the "Menu Commands" section.  Can you confirm this?

If this is the case, I'd like to see the AT support the "Extra Commands" set.  It includes 70 commands, like X-ray, that are really useful.  The other sections aren't that useful.

Murray

Ah, I see. I think we were both a little confused as I was not familiar with the X-Ray feature before.

Currently it appears that AlphaTrack can not access that command. for the exact reason you mention. We would need to either expand the AlphaTrack Tools list to include those additional commands. Or provide a literal key-stroke selection in the AlphaTrack Tools menu that would allow it to work in conjunction with the Sonar Key Bindings menu. The later of these 2 options was done with our TranzPort controller which was introduced before Cakewalk added the Tools menu options. This way users could continue to use existing Key-Bindings if they chose to.

Anyway, I will put in a feature request on the wishlist. I can't say when it may be addressed yet but at least it will be officially logged. Thanks for clarifying your request.

CS

Thanks, CS.

Although adding more Sonar commands to the AT user function would be easier for the user when setting it up, it would probabaly be better to allow the AT to send in keystrokes.  This would eliminate the need for you to keep adding commands as Sonar adds features.

Thanks again.  I'm a real fan of the AT and this is the first limitation that I've run into.