Topic: Limited Fader Range

I bought my AT a long time ago but had an old version of Cubase that wasn't compatible with it.  I finally got around to upgrading to Cubase 4 and started playing with the AT.  Everything seems to work great except the fader.

The volume indication goes from minus infinity at the bottom slider position to +6dB about 1 cm from the bottom slider position.  This effectively turns my 100 mm fader into a 10 mm fader.  Any ideas?  Maybe a sagging USB port voltage?

I did recalibrate (shift+stop+F4) several times and it didn't help.  I am using latest drivers and plug-ins.

Thanks,
Brian G.

Re: Limited Fader Range

Hello Brian,

When you run the calibration routine does AlphaTrack's fader move the entire travel range top to bottom?

Can you tell us how the onscreen Cubase channel fader reacts compared to the AlphaTrack fader? ie. When you manually move AT's fader up and down does the Cubase fader follow it correctly?

Any other clues that you notice?

You can test the USB port voltage by connecting it thru a powered hub if you have one available.

Let us know.

CS

>>When you run the calibration routine does AlphaTrack's fader
>>move the entire travel range top to bottom?
Yes.  Very quickly.

>>Can you tell us how the onscreen Cubase channel fader reacts
>>compared to the AlphaTrack fader? ie. When you manually move
>>AT's fader up and down does the Cubase fader follow it
>>correctly?
AT fader at bottom yields Cubase fader at bottom.
As I slowly move AT fader up to about 1 cm, Cubase fader follows linearly but goes all the way to the top (+6db).
The remainder of the AT fader travel to the top (9cm) just keeps the Cubase fader pegged at the top.
It really is just like I have a 1 cm fader.

>>Any other clues that you notice?
LCD screen on AT reads +6dB with fader 1 cm from bottom.

>>You can test the USB port voltage by connecting it thru a
>>powered hub if you have one available.
I don't have one available easily, but I can get one if you think that has a reasonable chance of fixing it.

Thank you very much for your help.

-BG

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

ok, so this is a first for me. I don't recall ever seeing this symptom before, but that just makes it a better challenge. ;)

There are a couple ways we can approach this to find out if the problem is with the AlphaTrack itself, or something going on in Cubase (like some unexpected MIDI filtering or other preference setting).

As long as the AlphaTrack control panel is set to "Native" mode it will physically generates the same set of MIDI messages from its fader, regardless of the application that is running. If the fader behaves correctly in any other program, then it should also behave correctly in Cubase. So if you have any other compatible DAW application to test it with then you could quickly confirm AT's MIDI data output.

If you don't already have another program then you can do the same test using either MIDI-OX (Windows) or MIDI Monitor (Mac). Both of these are free downloads from their respective sites, and make great tools to troubleshoot various MIDI problems. With these you can compare the output with what is spec'ed in the AlphaTrack Native Mode doc at http://frontierdesign.com/download/pdf/ … e_1.0.pdf.

If the fader's MIDI output isn't correct then perhaps it is a physical problem and we can go that route.

A couple other things you can try:

- clearing out your Cubase Prefs files.
- if on a Mac, try "Repairing Permissions" and then creating a "New Configuration" in the Mac Audio/MIDI Setup panel.

Check these things out and let us know what you find. If you are still having troubles we'll go from there. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.

CS

CS, thank you for taking the time to look into this issue.

I didn't have another application to check the AT with so I downloaded MIDI-OX per your recommendation.  Awesome piece of SW.  Touch fader and release fader commands were good.  The fader value message went from:
E0 00 00 with the fader at the bottom to
E0 70 7F with the fader only 1 cm from the bottom.
The rest of the way up the fader (the other 90 mm) there were no further messages output from the AT.
As I slid the fader back down, no more messages were sent out until I reached 1 cm from the bottom of the range.  The output value then decreased steadily from E0 70 7F down to E0 00 00 at the bottom.

I tried clearing out the Cubase preference files and got the same result.

I am running Windows Vista.

Also, I noticed that during the calibration, the fader starts at the bottom, moves relatively slow through the bottom 1 cm of the range and then shoots up and back down very quickly.

Still have not tried the independently-powered USB hub.  That's the plan for tomorrow, but I'm thinking it's probably a physical problem.  The AT is just being unruly in response to being neglected for so long.  ;-)

Thanks,
BG

OK.  I finally got a chance to get a powered USB hub.  Unfortunately, the AT exhibited the exact same symptoms as before.

I'm out of ideas.  What's your recommendation?

Thanks,
             Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid that this really sounds like a faulty unit, although I must admit, I have never heard of this problem before. 

We can set up an RMA if you would like to send it in to be checked out. If so call 603-448-6283 x107 and speak to Brian. He'll get you set up.
If MIDI-Ox shows the symptom then you know it has nothing to do with Cubase. And unless there is some mystery filter going on with the computer I can't imaging what else it could be.

CS

CS,

Once again, thank you for your assitance in helping me track down the problem.  Although it may not be a manufacturing defect, I definitely want to get you guys to take a look at it - I don't want to leave it with the local TV repairman.

Thanks,
BG