Topic: Fighting the AlphaTrack fader in Pro Tools 9

The fader of the AlphaTrack is not responding properly in pro tools 9 osx 10.6.5, mac pro 8 core . When I move the fader it feels like I'm fighting the motor to move it up and down. The fader is not always responsive which makes my AlphaTrack useless for automation. Please let me know if there's a solution to this before I give up on this product.

Last edited by EH (2010-12-13 11:08:57)

Re: Fighting the AlphaTrack fader in Pro Tools 9

Hi EH,

Did you just purchase the AlphaTrack or have you had it for a while?

Does it do this when you're out of ProTools?

Exit ProTools and move the fader to the bottom.  Press shift+stop+f4, this will run a recalibration.  Then let me know:

A) How exactly does the fader move (if at all) each time you perform a recalibration?
B) Does it help your situation in ProTools?

CS

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion, however it did not solve the problem.

I had it for about a year, it was never perfect but now it's just unusable.

The fader moves but it feels like it gets stuck when moving it up and down as if the it's not receiving the right information and the motor is resisting my hand movements.

Pressing CTRL + SHIFT in PT 9 does not always work (this was also the case in PT8 AFAIR)

No solution then?

Hi EH,

You were supposed to let me know exactly how the fader moves when performing the recalibration. 

The recalibration does recalibrate the touch circuitry and that alone may help (but didn't in your case) but it also gives me some information.  Since it's an internally run test, all the AlphaTrack needs is power to run this test.  The fader should move the exact same way in this test so if it doesn't, it's easy to spot a hardware failure.

If you unplug the fader does the fader still catch? 

If you prefer you can email support@frontierdesign.com and they can hook you up with an RMA number to get it looked at and fixed.

CS

Hi,

I have this exact same problem.

To answer your questions, Central Scrutinizer:

When unplugged, the fader moves smoothly.
When plugged in, it does NOT, in AND outside of Pro Tools.

When I calibrate, the fader moves slowly till the one but last line, lingers for a second, and crawls till the last line, in two steps. It then shoots down to about halfway (around the Mute button), lingers for a second, jumps up quickly by one line, and shoots all the way down.
This pattern is exactly the same each time I calibrate.

It does however not fix the issue.

Please help, as my alphatrack is now completely unusable.

Thanks

Peter

qiuckly all the way to the top, lingers there for a second, shoots down to about halfway,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Hi petelena,

Are you on a mac or pc?

If you're on a mac, go to www.snoize.com and download midi-monitor.  When you launch midi-monitor make sure that the AlphaTrack is selected under 'sources'.  Then touch the fader and release and make sure that an event is posted in the input window of midi-monitor for both the touch and then for the release (as two separate events, note on and note off)

If you're on a pc, go to www.midiox.com and download midi-ox.  Then when you launch midi-ox go to options/midi devices and make sure the AlphaTrack is selected for both input and output.  Then (just like above) touch the fader knob and release and you should get a note on for a touch and a note off for a release. 

In either case, if you don't get a note on when you touch the fader then it thinks it hasn't been touched and this will cause the fader to fight you.  If that is what you see in one of these midi snooping programs then I suggest returning it for a replacement or if that's not possible, contact support@frontierdesign.com to go about getting it repaired.

CS

Hello

I'm on Mac OS 10.6.7, running Pro Tools 9.0.2.

I did what you suggested and Midi Monitor spits out a lot of info when I touch and then release the fader:

17:04:22.822    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 15    0
17:04:22.822    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 47    64
17:04:22.822    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Bank Select    3
17:04:22.822    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Bank Select (fine)    32
17:04:22.846    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 15    0
17:04:22.846    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 47    0
17:04:23.102    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 15    0
17:04:23.102    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 47    64
17:04:23.102    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Bank Select    3
17:04:23.102    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Bank Select (fine)    32
17:04:23.134    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 15    0
17:04:23.134    From AlphaTrack    Control    1    Controller 47    0