Topic: Alphatrack in Logic Pro 9.1.1 - Quick automation problem

Hi

Alphatrack is working fine in all ways, except when I assign Logic Pro's 'quick automation' to the fader. When I am writing automation, it ramps down to 00 every time I take my finger of the fader. I assumed it would respond to the automation and move with it, thereby making it easy to 'touch' automate changes etc. Surely this is the point of a touch sensitive, motorized fader.

How are others managing with logic pro's automation and the Alphatrack?

My other problem is when I take it off 'quick automation', the fader doesn't revert to volume, but start acting like a 'pitch bend' wheel.

I have recalibrated the fader, and reset to defaults etc., but I can't work out how to get around this problem.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Re: Alphatrack in Logic Pro 9.1.1 - Quick automation problem

Hi pandora,

Can you explain how you're setting up the AlphaTrack in Logic for automation?

All you should have to do is navigate to a track press the 'Auto' button on the AlphaTrack and then use the right encoder to select which automation mode you want (in this case, touch).  Then press play and use your fader for automation.

CS

Hi CS

If I select the 'auto' encoder, select touch automation, and then try to automate whatever parameter is showing in Logic's automation lane, it always defaults to automating volume. It follows whatever volume automation is written perfectly, and I can 'touch' automate great. However, it's not the parameter I initially selected and wanted it to grab!

I thought by using the 'automation quick access' setting and assigning the fader via 'learn', then I would be able to get the fader to control the parameter selected (for example a 'send'  or a audio unit filter etc.). The fader does indeed move the parameter showing, without defaulting back to volume, but snaps down to the bottom and stays there without following whatever automation is already written.

I'm sure I must be being dense here somewhere - there must be a way to automate more than volume! - but I can't figure it out!

Hi pandora,

If you navigate to a track then press the automation button on the AlphaTrack and once there, select automation mode "touch" with the right encoder.

Then, you can use the AlphaTrack's "pan, send, eq, plug-in" mode buttons to automate a track's volume/pan (pan mode), send levels (using the send mode), EQ (using the eq mode) or plug-in parameter automation (using the plug-in mode).

If you click on the 'send' mode the right encoder is mapped to send level and you can either automate using the encoder or you can press the flip button on the AlphaTrack and use the AlphaTrack's fader to automate the send levels.

If you click on the 'plug-in' mode use the left encoder to select your plug-in "Guitar Amp Pro" for example. Then press the plug-in button a second time and by pressing the 'flip' button on the AlphaTrack you use the fader to automate any of the parameters that are mapped to an encoder. You can also use F2 and F3 (on AlphaTrack) to page through a plug-in's parameters.

Once you selected the parameter to automate just press play and you will be able to use touch automation using the AlphaTrack's fader to automate send levels, plug-in parameters or track volume/pan levels.

You shouldn't need to use 'learn mode' for any of this.

CS

Hi CS

Thanks for your speedy replies.  Yes, that does work great. I was only hoping to do the 'quick automation' learn thing to be able to simply tweak a parameter on a plug-ins GUI (to get logic to register it in it's automation lane), and then go straight to the fader to automate, rather than scroll through the parameter on the 'plug-in' encoder of the Alphatrack. Sometimes there are so many of them to scroll through, and the names are not always meaningful to me!

On a side note, is there anyway to change the speed of the encoders, as they are quite slow moving through the range of values - which is sometimes a good thing, of course, but not always.

Hi pandora,

Unfortunately there's no way to adjust the resolution of the encoders but flipping an encoder onto the fader by using the 'flip' button will put the full range of a parameter onto the fader and that would allow you to make quicker adjustments.

CS

Thanks for all your help CS. You've been great.

All the best

Pandora