Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Topic: setting up to work with Logic Pro 8???

Darren wrote:

Hi, I can't get my alphatrack to do more than play music. I'm running Logic Pro 8.0.1 on OSX 10.5.2.
I initially installed alphatrack 1.3.0 and replaced the bundle in the Logic Package with plug in version 1.1. I restarted my mac and plugged in the unit. At this point there seemed to be no recognition. The icon did not appear in the menu bar or in the control surfaces setup panel in logic. rebuilding defaults did nothing. Touching any or the controls caused Logic to play music like a normal midi keyboard.
So then I uninstalled 1.3.o and installed the original version from the CD. I returned the original plug in to Logic, restarted the Mac, plugged in the unit. I could now see the icon in the menu bar, but Logic wasn't yet a choice (as expected). I unplugged the unit, I reinstalled V1.3.0 and restarted. Logic was still not a choice in the drop down menu, and touching any of the controls on the unit caused Logic to play music like a normal midi keyboard. rebuilding defaults did nothing.
I down loaded v1.3.0 again, reinstalled, restarted, plugged in the unit selected logic which was now available from alphatrack manager. I started Logic, and the symptoms where the same as before, except now the fader motor will follow the fader in the mixer if I adjust it with the mouse.
So I closed Logic, unplugged the unit and put plug in v1.1 back into the Logic package. Restarted, selected logic in the alphatrack manager and started logic. rebuilding defaults did nothing. Touching any or the controls caused Logic to play music like a normal midi keyboard. The icon did not appear in the control surfaces setup panel, just a picture of a keyboard when I manually added it from the list.
I calibrated the unit at each of these steps, but this didn't help.
Please Help

CS:Hello Darren,

lets see if we can get you sorted out here. The fact that Logic is playing MIDI notes when you press buttons means that it knows the device is there but isn't sure what it is. This can be caused by several things.

First, you definitely want to be using the AlphaTrack V1.3.0 drivers and v1.1 Logic plug-in. Any other combination or earlier versions won't work right no matter what you try. Also, just in case you have more than one version of Logic on your computer, make sure you are installing the plug-in into the the version you are actually running. Also, be careful not to install it into an alias of the Logic icon.

Ok, now that that it out of the way, a few general Mac related things. First, use the Disk Utilities to 'Repair Permissions' on your hard drive. This a a good thing to do periodically regardless, but might help here. Also, go into your Mac Audio/MIDI Setup and create a 'New Configuration'. This will ensure the Mac is seeing the AlphaTrack correctly to begin with. If you have AlphaTrack connected via a USB hub it should be a powered hub, and try bypassing it to see if it is affecting the signal.

Also, and this is an important one, Mac OS10.5.2 has known problems with recognizing USB devices. Make sure you update your Mac OS to 10.5.3 or beyond!

Now go back and launch Logic. Go to Logic/preferences/MIDI and select "Reset all MIDI Drivers". You should now have an icon for AlphaTrack in the Logic Control Surface Setup, but don't worry if the picture is of a generic keyboard or the AlphaTrack. Also, if you have any MIDI or Instrument tracks, check that none of them have AlphaTrack listed as their MIDI input.

If you are still having problems let us know any other details you note and we'll try to help further. Also let us know if you have any other devices connected.

CS