Topic: Alphatrack driver crashes windows 7 /64

I just had a new machine built with windows 7 /64 bit operating system installed. Everything loads as it should except my driver for the alpha track. Every time I try to load it I get a start-up crash and have to manually start windows. Also once It is working at all, it wont work with nuendo 32 or 64. Ive got the latest drivers and have done a reset but still cant get it working, Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Alphatrack driver crashes windows 7 /64

Hi strat1376,

Just to confirm, did you get the latest drivers here:

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack/Downloads

And did you make sure that your AlphaTrack was unplugged when you installed the drivers?  If you're not sure then you can just reinstall the drivers with the AlphaTrack unplugged to make sure.

Also, what do you mean when you say "every time I try to load it"?

As for the AlphaTrack not working in Nuendo, it's probably because you need the AlphaTrack/Nuendo plug-in placed in Nuendo's 'components' folder for both versions (32 and 64).  You can get that plug-in at the same link above.  But first we should get to the bottom of why your computer is having issues with the AlphaTrack.

CS

Yes I have those drivers, I also have the nuendo plugins both 64 and 32 in their respective components folders. The driver problem is a recent developement. I noticed that the alphatrack wasnt working well but was busy with other things and didnt have tie to work on it with the new system. Finally I decided to reload wiondows and start from scratch and try to track down the problem of the crashes. It seems to be the Alpha track drivers. As soon as I load them I get a start-up errpr and have to start windows from the problem solving screen. Ive also reset the alpha track. The motherboard is a gigabite 870A-UD3 with an AMD phenom II processor and 8 gigs of ram. I am using antivir free version and thats about it, also a presonus firestudio that I did have some trouble getting the drivers to work also but now have them up and running

Last edited by strat1376 (2010-08-17 18:47:21)

If you go to the "control panel" and go to "system" and go to "hardware/device manage" does the AlphaTrack show up in "sound,video and game controllers"?  There should be two listings: one for 'AlphaTrack' and another for 'AlphaTrack WDM Interface'.

Are you plugged directly into one of your computer's USB ports or are you connected to a USB hub? 

How did you "reset" the AlphaTrack?

Did you make sure that the AlphaTrack was unplugged prior to installing the latest drivers?  Also, make sure that the AlphaTrack CD that came in the box isn't in your cd drive while your installing drivers off our site.

CS

"If you go to the "control panel" and go to "system" and go to "hardware/device manage" does the AlphaTrack show up in "sound,video and game controllers"?  There should be two listings: one for 'AlphaTrack' and another for 'AlphaTrack WDM Interface'."

Yes,both are visible in device manager

"Are you plugged directly into one of your computer's USB ports or are you connected to a USB hub?  "

I was plugged into the hub which was running on USB3 I am now plugged into a single usb2 input and this has stopped the crashes but alpha track does not show up in nuendo as a remote device. The midi inputs are there and live.

"How did you "reset" the AlphaTrack?"

I just re calibrated  it using shift/stop/F4

"Did you make sure that the AlphaTrack was unplugged prior to installing the latest drivers?  Also, make sure that the AlphaTrack CD that came in the box isn't in your cd drive while your installing drivers off our site."

Drivers are the latest per your link. I did not use the cd and I did unplug before installing

The applet is running in the tool bar and appears to be loading correctly Nuendo plugin is installed but I did try it without the nuendo plug in and had the same result. The applet shows as version 1.2.0 in the windows 32 file. Im really stumped with this one. I believe that usb 3 provides more power, is it possible that it overloaded the unit? or would it only draw the power that it needs?

I'm not sure how the AlphaTrack would be affected by a USB3 USB hub.  So for the time being I would use what works (USB 2 port on your computer).

As for Nuendo not recognizing the AlphaTrack...I don't see anywhere that you mention going to devices/device setup and then clicking on 'remote devices' and then clicking on the (+) button to access all the available remote devices that you can add to Nuendo.  Once you select AlphaTrack from the list, you'll need to set the 'Midi Input' and 'Midi Output' fields to 'AlphaTrack' as well.

In other words, it won't just show up in remote devices, you have to manually add the device.  If the plug-ins are placed in the proper folders the AlphaTrack should show up in a list of available devices.  If the plug-ins aren't set properly then the AlphaTrack won't show up in that list.

Try this and you should be all set to go.

CS

Thats what I mean, Im a long time nuendo user and am familiar with the program. The alpha track does not show up in the menu for "add remote device" However, the midi inputs and outputs do show up in the midi connections menu. Thats  what I cant figure out. I have reloaded nuendo  after first deleting all registry items after uninstall . Is it possible that the unit has a hardware problem? or is it more likely a conflict somewhere? For the price
I would just go buy another one if this one is broken, thanks.

Hi strat,

If the AlphaTrack doesn't show up in the list for when you try to add a remote device then that means that it can't locate the plug-in.

So I would make sure that you have the correct plug-ins in the respective 'components' folder.

You mentioned 32 and 64-Bit plug-ins, is it possible that you have the 64-Bit plug-in in the 32-Bit version's components folder?

Try both versions of Nuendo (32 and 64) and check to see if 'AlphaTrack' shows up in the remote devices list.  If it doesn't, close Nuendo and switch those two plug-ins and try again.

CS