Topic: Motorised fader doesnt like to be moved in cubase 5.5

Hi

After upgrading to Cubase 5.5 my alphatrack has an issue with me trying to move the fader while playing. Sometimes the sound stutters when moving fader, other times the fader is simply struggling against me and tries to hold back from being moved:(
Anyone else who has this problem?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Motorised fader doesnt like to be moved in cubase 5.5

musifalsk wrote:

Fader acts normal here in Cubase 5.5 with Alphatrack 1.0.7 plugin. For the record, are you sure you don't have any automated channels in the project?
Does the fader react the same way on audio and midi channels?

Hi musifalsk,

How long have you had your AlphaTrack and had it working properly?  The first thing I would try is a recalibration.  You can do this by pressing shift+stop+f4 on your AlphaTrack.  This will recalibrate the touch circuitry and can fix issues similar to what you're describing.  Since the knobs of the AlphaTrack (including fader) are touch sensitive it's possible that it thinks your finger isn't on the fader when it really is; this results in you fighting the fader.

Another good reason to use the recalibration is that the fader should move the exact same way each time you run the recalibration.  So during this recalibration pay close attention to the fader and if the fader appears to move differently even one time out of 15 then it's possible that you have an intermittent hardware failure somewhere.

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

niles wrote:
musifalsk wrote:

Fader acts normal here in Cubase 5.5 with Alphatrack 1.0.7 plugin. For the record, are you sure you don't have any automated channels in the project?
Does the fader react the same way on audio and midi channels?

I have automated tracks in my projects, but this problem is on all tracks not just those that is automated. And also: those tracks where the fader actually work as intended, the audio stutters if I touch the fader. Not just the audio of the track but from the whole audio engine in cubase

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

Hi musifalsk,

How long have you had your AlphaTrack and had it working properly?  The first thing I would try is a recalibration.  You can do this by pressing shift+stop+f4 on your AlphaTrack.  This will recalibrate the touch circuitry and can fix issues similar to what you're describing.  Since the knobs of the AlphaTrack (including fader) are touch sensitive it's possible that it thinks your finger isn't on the fader when it really is; this results in you fighting the fader.

Another good reason to use the recalibration is that the fader should move the exact same way each time you run the recalibration.  So during this recalibration pay close attention to the fader and if the fader appears to move differently even one time out of 15 then it's possible that you have an intermittent hardware failure somewhere.

CS

I had it for some years now, but have not used it in 6 months. Never tried to calibrate it before, I will try this as soon as I get home. Will report back... :)

Okay I have tried recalibrating the fader I tried uninstall and new install of drivers I, I tried to remove the alphatrack plugin from the component folder. But still the fader doesnt work the way it should. I also tried it inside Cubase SX3 where everything worked as it should. So it must be something with my Cubase 5.5 update....:(

musifalsk wrote:

So it must be something with my Cubase 5.5 update....:(

Look at the bright side of it, you at least narrowed it down ;)
There must be a solution though, because there are users that use the Alphatrack with Cubase 5.5.0 (including me).

You don't have a channel or device sending pitchbend messages to the Alphatrack channel in Cubase by any chance?

Did you try it with other USB (midi) devices unplugged?

For the record, you did add the latest version of the AlphaTrackCN.dll plugin back in the components folder again (1.0.7 32bit version or 1.0.7 64bit version)?

Hi musifalsk,

I just got a copy of Cubase 5.  Try creating a new project and see if you experience the same symptoms.  If it still does then make the smallest simplest project you can while it still produces these problems.  Then send the project files to support@frontierdesign.com

I'll try it here on Cubase 5 and then upgrade to 5.5 and see if I get similar behavior. 

Niles had a good point, I would make sure that you have the AlphaTrack plug-in in the Cubase 5 components folder and if your AlphaTrack shows up in devices/device setup under 'remote devices' I would try deleting that and then click on the (+) symbol and try re-adding an AlphaTrack and see if that helps.  (make sure input and output are set to 'AlphaTrack' too).

CS

I had this fader problem too, with Cubase 5.0. But only sometimes, most of the time it worked without problems. I never found out what the cause was, as with new installations (OS and Cubase, update to 5.5) the problem never occurred again.

Ok. I think found the problem. When I lift my feets from the floor, Alphatrack works correctly. But if I try to move the fader with my feet planted to the floor, strange behaviour happens with the fader engine. It must be some kind of grounding failure of some kind.

So I will have to mix with my feets lifted :))

But if anyone has a better solution I will gladly hear it

musifalsk wrote:

It must be some kind of grounding failure of some kind.

The strange thing is, SX3 doesn't give you any trouble. And if it is a grounding problem, it should also appear in SX3.

Anyway the best solution for grounding problems is to take care of proper grounding ;)

as an alternative you could check this video

But before you take any drastic measures, I would certainly check out if you don't have any other equipment around the Alphatrack that can interfere, like an external harddrive for instance.
Or maybe a cellphone. If my cellphone searches for signal and it is to close to the Alphatrack, it goes bezerk.

You can also do a search on the grounding issue on this forum because there are a few topic, with possible solution on that.

Good luck.