Topic: Fader not sending MIDI data

Hi,

I´ve been using my new Alphatrack for a couple of weeks without problem and now, all of a sudden, the fader stopped working.

I checked in Cubase and Live and they dont receive any data when i touch-move the fader. The fader moves tough when i move the track´s volume on the sequencer. All the rest is working ok. 

I tried to reinstall the drivers and same thing.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am using 1.3.0 in windows XP.

EDIT: Ok, tried on a different PC, fresh install and apparently is working, the thing is i need it to work at the other computer..any idea what could be causing the trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ed1 (2010-02-08 16:00:36)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Re: Fader not sending MIDI data

Hi ed1,

First, what I would do is confirm in Cubase in the device setup window that the 'remote device' (AlphaTrack) has its midi input and output set to 'AlphaTrack'.  If only one of these are selected then you'll only get one-way communication between your DAW and your AlphaTrack and it sounds like that's what you're seeing.  Confirm similar settings in Live as well.

If that looks ok then it's possible there can be intermittent fader issues and the next thing I would do is press shift+stop+f4 (recalibration) on your AlphaTrack and monitor how the fader moves during recalibration.  It should move the same exact way each time you run the recalibration.  For example, depending on what firmware you have the fader may move slowly to the top and then slowly back to the bottom.  Or it may move slowly to the top rapidly to the middle and then slowly back to the bottom.  It should never, for example, slam to the top or bottom during recalibration.  This and inconsistent fader movements during recalibration would be a signs of hardware problems or intermittent connections dealing with the fader.

Another thing you can do is go to www.midiox.com and download and install midi monitor.  All it is is a midi snooping program that lets you see the data that your AlphaTrack sends to your computer.  Make sure you go to options/midi devices and select 'AlphaTrack' in the midi input and output fields.  Then move the fader.  As long as your moving the fader you should be getting streaming data in midi-ox.  If you're moving the fader and there are times where midi-ox doesn't spit out any midi data then this is another sign of fader problems.

CS

Thanks C. Scrutinizer.

I havent been posting about it cause after installing and working fine on another computer i juts plugged it back on my work computer and it worked again!

then i have been working for some more weeks without problemsuntil today, when the fader stopped working again. I came here to the forum, read your reply and did the calibration inside Cubase. It moved as expected during calibration and now it seems to work again.

I feel a bit suspicious now that the fader might die completely soon. Is anybody in the same situation as me?

Hi ed1,

It's possible that there's an intermittent fader connection in a wire or wiring harness causing these issues.  That could cause it to work sometimes and not work other times.  If this happens again, try the recalibration.  If eventually the recalibration doesn't work let me know, it could be a problem like I explained above.

CS

Hey thanks for the answer,

The thing is i am not sure if i want the warranty period to expire before i got it repared. Another big con here is that i bought the AT in NY while being on holidays and now i am back in Spain. Any idea on how should i proceed to get this sent to the technical stuff for repair from here?

Thanks a lot!

Hi ed1,

Since you live in Spain, if you or someone you know is handy with a soldering iron you may want to try checking the following post:

http://frontierdesign.com/forums/post/1438/#p1438

We prefer to do these here but if you're willing to it may help these issues.

CS