Topic: Alphatrack conflicts with all my USB midi interfaces

My Alphatrack works fine with Logic 9 on Macbook pro with Snow Leopard. However, as soon as I connect ANY USB midi interface, it immediately stops working properly. In fact, it starts to play midi notes when I press the transport controls.

I'm sure there is a fix. Please would you be kind enough to let me know what to do?

Thank you

Clive

Re: Alphatrack conflicts with all my USB midi interfaces

I just got my Alphatrack yesterday and the same thing happened to me.  It worked fine when I installed it, but when I turned on my Edirol keyboard Logic complained that the 'Alphatrack' MIDI port was missing and the Alphatrack seemed to be frozen.

I tracked it down to what appears to be a Logic 9 bug.  It seems that instead of using the interface name as configured in the Audio/MIDI tool it seems to be enumerating active interfaces at the time you configure a control surface.  If you start a new MIDI interface that moves the Alphatrack position in the list, it will stop finding it and disable input for the Alphatrack as a control surface and will instead treat data from the unit as a regular MIDI stream.

I went to Preferences->Control Surfaces->Setup, selected the Alphatrack icon, and in the inspector on the top left reselected the 'Alphatrack' port for input.  At that point, it started working normally again and the keyboard was not affected.  I haven't turned the keyboard off since discovering this, but I suspect I'll have to perform this step every time the number of active MIDI interfaces changes between or during Logic sessions.

Again, the Alphatrack unit isn't sending anything different in it's data stream (verified by using a midi monitor program).  I'm sure this is a Logic 9 bug.  It also seems to be confined to Logic, as I installed the Garageband plug-in and it did not have this problem.

Re: Alphatrack conflicts with all my USB midi interfaces

Hi, it's been happening to me also with Logic 8. I wrote a post about this, but found a solution, not the perfect solution, but one that, for the moment, keeps the Alphatrack working fine. You cannot switch off any controller. Keep them connected and ready every time you switch on your computer. Open a project. Then, if you get the message that the alphatrack is assigned to a MIDI port that is missing, go to control surfaces and delete the aplhatrack. Restart logic and open the same project. You'll see that Logic recognizes the new controller. From now on, it'll work fine unless you disconnect one of your controllers, or include a new one. In that case, you'll have to follow the same procedure again. And you have to to this with every project.

Anyway, this isn't a convenient solution, so I'm waiting for someone to solve it, but, if you read the post about the compatibility with 64 bit Logic, you'll feel, at least, alone. And I think that bought the Alphatrack because I liked the Customer service...

Oh, by the way. The same problem happens with the Presonus Faderport

Re: Alphatrack conflicts with all my USB midi interfaces

Unlike the lack of 64-bit drivers, this seems to be a problem in Logic itself.  There's not really anything the Frontier Design folks can do about it.  Instead of deleting the Alphatrack controller and restarting Logic, try my trick of simply reselecting the Alphatrack MIDI port for input on the same screen where you delete the controller.  It starts working immediately and will save you a bit of hassle.

Re: Alphatrack conflicts with all my USB midi interfaces

Thanks cgreer, your trick works fine and is much better than my method!