Topic: EQ3 control not working in Pro Tools 8 ?

just recently bought an alphatrack to use with Pro Tools 8 LE, got everything working fine except it never recognizes the EQ3 plugin. it always says "no EQ3 plug-in on insert C" although there is that exact plug-in on that exact insert. it does the same for every channel. i can control it using the "plug in" mode but its really slow doing it that way, i want to have each knob for Q, freq and gain not scroll through one by one.

anyone else had this trouble or found a solution? i'm running the latest pro tools and the latest alphatrack software, on Pro-Tools HUI mode. the pro-tools preferences are all correct according to the installation guides.

steven

Re: EQ3 control not working in Pro Tools 8 ?

Same issue here on my system too.  The EQ3 doesn't show up on insert 3....this is what I mean about this thing.  You'd think there was a fix for the AT by now!?  Hey CS what's going on with this issue?  A whole big part of what the AT is supposedly capable of is missing.

This is my system info:

Apple Mac Pro 2.66 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core
9GB RAM
Leopard 10.5.7/Pro Tools 8cs2 Digi 002R
M-Audio Radium 61 controller
Fxspansion VST-RTAS adapter

Networked to>
G4 Dual 1.4 processor 1.25GB RAM
Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8/Tiger 10.4.11

Can we also get a signature in our profile so we don't have to post our system info every time??

Last edited by Gothboy (2009-07-02 10:35:27)

Tried it as mutli mono as specified in the manual and not working.  Can we get a reply on the status of this issue?

Just wondering... does the EQ mode ONLY work with EQ3 from protools?  I use a lot of different brands of plugins... so this feature wouldn't really be that important to me if I can only use that one.

I think you're right on that but it needs confirming here...but wouldn't it be great if it worked on ALL EQ plugins as PT users are only a fraction of overall users.

I don't have an alphatrack yet, but I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna order one tomorrow or not.  I'm checking out some of the features, and it looks like I still might get one.  If the alphatrack DID work on all eq's or at least most... that would be so nice.  I don't like the fact I have to limit my options just to use that feature... even tho I can't even use it yet, lol.

Hi Sorry for the delay,

The choice of slot C was made for a couple reasons to allow EQ control within the limits of HUI protocol. Because HUI protocol and ProTools doesn't have an 'EQ' mode like other apps we had to fudge a few things. We needed to know exactly what plug-in to look for and exactly where to look for it. Because users may want to have other plug-ins such as a compressor before EQ in the chain we choose a slot in the middle (C). So far it seems to be working well for most users although it may not be ideal for all.

You must use the 1, 4, or 7 band Digi EQ III mono in insert C for the EQ mode on the AlphaTrack to work. On some systems you may need to click AT away from that track and back again the first time so that it refreshes its info and sees the new insert. You can also confirm it is there by selecting PLUG-IN mode when sitting on the same insert. It will also see the EQ but present it in a different manner.

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

The choice of slot C was made for a couple reasons to allow EQ control within the limits of HUI protocol. Because HUI protocol and ProTools doesn't have an 'EQ' mode like other apps we had to fudge a few things. We needed to know exactly what plug-in to look for and exactly where to look for it. Because users may want to have other plug-ins such as a compressor before EQ in the chain we choose a slot in the middle (C). So far it seems to be working well for most users although it may not be ideal for all.

Well, OK...thanks for the backstory on why you did things this way but it's not really helping the topic of the post which is "Why isn't it working?"

You must use the 1, 4, or 7 band Digi EQ III mono in insert C for the EQ mode on the AlphaTrack to work. On some systems you may need to click AT away from that track and back again the first time so that it refreshes its info and sees the new insert. You can also confirm it is there by selecting PLUG-IN mode when sitting on the same insert. It will also see the EQ but present it in a different manner.

I just went down to the studio to test this again and make sure I'm not crazy but it doesn't work no matter what I do...whether it's on a mono or stereo track...or a stereo or multi mono plugin of EQ 3...1,4 or 7 band refreshing the track or otherwise.  So now the question is: What now?
Has this been tested to work on your end with PT 8?

I have the same problem. I've been using Alphtrack with Pro Tools 7.4 perfectly. No problem at all. I just upgraded to PT8 and EQ knobs doesnt work. It doesn't recognize any EQ3 at the C port, but there is, and of course, I'm sure about it.

I have been using Alpha Tack for many months and I am not doing anything different. The only thing different is PT8. I have seen many other messages with this same problem at other forums.

¿Is Frontier Design Group going to asume there is a problem with AlphaTrack and Pro Tools or will just continue telling us stories about where do people prefer to insert a compressor? And if this happens ¿Will you give us a solution? Thank you.

Laro Basterrechea (Spain)

I was able to replicate this issue and it turns out that as of Pro Tools 8 Digi changed the way the name of EQ3 appears from "4Band EQ3" to "EQ 34Band" and this seems to be the root of the problem and we're checking on how this can be resolved.

CS

I understand.  I hope you can find a solution as fast as possible. It is becoming very tedious to eq without the knobs, once we were used to Alphatrack. Please keep us informed. Thank you very much.

Have you found any solution?

Hi Laro,

No, nothing yet, applying the fix may take some time.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on this post.

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

I was able to replicate this issue and it turns out that as of Pro Tools 8 Digi changed the way the name of EQ3 appears from "4Band EQ3" to "EQ 34Band" and this seems to be the root of the problem and we're checking on how this can be resolved.

CS

Just got the AT to use on my PT 8.0.1 and installed the following driver: AlphaTrack Windows Installer v1.2

I was hoping to get somewhat of a mix-feeling using the AT fader, pan, and EQ controllers with ProTools. But 50% of this functionality does not work. Two issues have not been resolved:

1) EQ 3 does not work: this has been reported on July 1.

2) PAN poti moves far too slow: pan doesn't get you on the screen what you physically do with the controller on the AT. This has been reported on July 15 in another User Forum discussion.

In the meantime it is Oct. 3. Where is the solution, where can I download the bug fixes? When will Frontier deliver what has been advertised?

Hi Soundmark,

For the time being you should be able to control your EQ 3 using the "plug-in" mode of the AlphaTrack, then select the insert you want to control (EQ 3) then you could use EQ3 in the same way as you would normally but instead of using the EQ button on the AlphaTrack you should use the plug-in button.

CS

Hi Central Scrutinizer

Thank you for the quick response.

However, the "plug-in mode" is completely impractical for EQs. I tried it out. For real, would you do that to yourself? "For the time being you should use the mouse instead of the AT" would have been more honest advice...

There is no comment on the bug fix: for what time is the update scheduled in your software development agenda? Is it scheduled at all? -- Thank you for your efforts!

Soundmark

Im a user from Mexico and Got all excited bout getting this control surface because a friend of mine has one.   Im in Film Post production Industry in one of the 3 mayor Post Production studios in Mexico and everyone is asking me about the alpha track because Its cool to go 'round in THX mixes with one BUT, Im also having that problem because I tested with 7.4 and Im a PT 8 user... Btw Im using the 8.0.3 release for snow leopard wich works awesome AND WORKS ON THE 64 BIT KERNEL.   Every other MIDI device WORKS ON THE 64 BIT KERNEL, why yours dont????   Im forced to work in a 32 bit kernel and lose lots of my 16 gig ram power...   PLEASE fix EQ3 option fast, and PATCH that 64 bit kernel issue!   Otherwise Im givin this back... Man, the Pre-sonus its cheaper and does the work better... =(

Man i wish i found this forum before i bought the Alphatrack haha. Any updates on the dreaded 'Eq3 problem'? Set everything up & was pleasantly surprised by how easy everything was to get going.....until i hit that 'eq' button. I agree with the others that the plugin button way of accessing eq functions is very impractical/slow. Another vote for an update!

Here here! I know these things take time but what worries me is what goes on with Digi as they are so proprietary it's scary.  My Novation controller has totally saved me but we DO need to see a fix here.

Cheeky BUMP!

Is there a fix on the way?
I have just bought this but can return it within 1 week if I am not satified.
Will I be able to controlthe EQ3 in the near future?

fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please fix fix fix please

pt8 user here. the generic plugin interface is pretty poor for tweaking eq. sweet baby hayzeus, please fix this issue.

May 8, 2010 and EQ function still doesn't work with Pro Tools 8.

bump.