Topic: alphatrack + windows7 64bit = no go UPDATE!!! = GO!!!

Are you working on this one?

Last edited by dr.oetker (2009-03-08 13:04:05)

Re: alphatrack + windows7 64bit = no go UPDATE!!! = GO!!!

Hello dr. oetker,

Fair question, but not at this time. Microsoft is far from locking down this release and after getting burned with multiple last minute Vista changes I think you are going to find far fewer manufacturers willing to take that leap of faith this early in the development cycle. It takes valuable time and money to build drivers properly. You really hate to through that away.
It's a simple case of the old "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

Microsoft has tossed the beta copy out there to build excitement in their product, which will ship sometime in the unknown future. That's fine. But in the mean time they are also fishing for problems.  This is a good thing too. But there will certainly be changes.

I hope you understand.

CS

Working with Windows7 for a week or so i found out that you can make Alpatrack to work if you right-click on the installer icon and choose "troubleshoot compatibility" in the dropdown menu. After installing the program (choose Vista if you're asked in which OS the installer worked before)and copying the cn64.dll in the components folder everything is working smooth now.
(very happy owner)

Last edited by dr.oetker (2009-03-08 13:02:17)

Thanks for the update Dr. oetker, and for passing along your results for others to try.

Enjoy,

CS

I too was able to install on Win 7 64bit.  However it doesn't like Pro Tools 8 (or vice versa)

I keep getting disconnect errors in PT even though there should be nothing wrong.

Hello djgizmo,

We are not aware of an problems between PT8 and AlphaTrack specifically. If Windows is seeing the MIDI ports properly then PT8 should as well. However there are several reports on the Digidesign DUC forums of PT8/Vista users having intermittent problems seeing MIDI ports in general (not hardware specific). Not sure if this applies to Windows 7 as well.

Here are the usual things to check;

Use a program like MIDI-Ox to verify that Windows is seeing both Input  and Output MIDI ports for the AlphaTrack.

Verify that AlphaTracks task bar icon is set to "ProTools(HUI)" mode.

Verify that the Pro Tools/Setup/Peripherals/MIDI COntrollers is set to HUI - Frontier AlphaTrack - Frontier AlphaTrack, for Device, Send To, and Receive From.

Try deleting your PT Prefs folders and relaunching PT.

CS

Hi All
Trying to get tranzport to work in windows 7.
In his post dr.oetker advise to
"copy cn64.dll in the components folder"
can somebody please tell me where this file is and where i have to copy it to please?

cheers
Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 738

Hi Wickett,

You can get that here:

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Downloads

It's called "Cubase/Nuendo 64-Bit Plug-In"

CS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

dr.oetker wrote:

you can make Alpatrack to work if you right-click on the installer icon and choose "troubleshoot compatibility" in the dropdown menu

Thanks for this, I got this to work but had a nasty crash (BSOD) on closing down Windows 7 64-bit, which resulted in rolling back over a week's work to the restore point just prior to the installation of the AlphaTrack 64-bit driver as described.

I'm using the RTM,  and the consumer release is less than a week away, so does anyone know whether Frontier Design be releasing a certified driver for Windows 7 64-bit any time soon?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/frontierdesign/frontierdesign.com/forums/include/parser.php on line 684

John Reid wrote:
dr.oetker wrote:

you can make Alpatrack to work if you right-click on the installer icon and choose "troubleshoot compatibility" in the dropdown menu

Thanks for this, I got this to work but had a nasty crash (BSOD) on closing down Windows 7 64-bit, which resulted in rolling back over a week's work to the restore point just prior to the installation of the AlphaTrack 64-bit driver as described.

I'm using the RTM,  and the consumer release is less than a week away, so does anyone know whether Frontier Design be releasing a certified driver for Windows 7 64-bit any time soon?

OK I've found out that the culprit is the AlphaTrackApplet. This runs everytime you plug in the AlphaTrack, to give the icon in the system tray and allow you to switch modes. You can provoke the crash by terminating the process in Task Manager.

So the workaround (assuming you won't want to switch the AlphaTrack from native mode) is to prevent the AlphaTrackApplet from running, which you can do by deleting the following registry key and rebooting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"StartAlphaTrackApplet"="AlphaTrackApplet.exe"

After that you can leave the AlphaTrack plugged in and Windows 7 64-bit will shutdown gracefully.

Hi John, very interested in this one.
Problem is that i come as far as [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion in regedit but "StartAlphaTrackApplet"="AlphaTrackApplet.exe" doesn't show up over there.

dr.oetker wrote:

Hi John, very interested in this one.
Problem is that i come as far as [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion in regedit but "StartAlphaTrackApplet"="AlphaTrackApplet.exe" doesn't show up over there.

Go one node lower:
i.e. highlight the "Run" node in the left-hand pave in RegEdit.

Found it. Thanks!

Dear Mr. Central Scrutinizer:

What is Frontier Design's  plan for releasing a working set of drivers for WIN 7 - (both  x86 and x64)?

Windows version 1.3 has been released and is on the AlphaTrack Download page. It fixes the crash-on-shutdown (or killing AlphaTrackApplet via task manager) bug.

NOTE: You may have to use the Device Manager's "Activities | Scan for hardware changes" command to trigger Win7 to recognize the hardware after you've run the installer.

Suggested procedure for upgrading:
1. Disconnect AlphaTrack
2. Reboot
3. Run the 1.3 Installer.
4. Reconnect AlphaTrack, and follow the onscreen prompts.
5. (maybe) Use the Device Manager's "Activities | Scan for hardware changes"

Direct Link

CS

Will a similar fix be made for the Tranzport, since it faces the same bluescreen problem?

I can confirm that this has fixed the problem completely!  Many thanks for the excellent support.

I'm testing a new build of Windows 7 64-bit and Cubase 5.1.0 64-bit. Cubase users might want to note that the installer seems to put the 32-bit plugin in the Components folder, so a better idea would be to allow the driver installer to install only the driver, and download the 64-bit Cubase/Nuendo plugin seperately, then (logged in as an Administrator) manually copy the DLL into the Components folder of the Cubase installation folder.  Remove any 32-bit version that might be there.

64-bit version --> AlphaTrackCN64.dll (DLL version 1.0.5.0)
32-bit version ==> AlphaTrackCN.dll (installer puts DLL 1.0.3.0 in)

Note that the actual DLL version can be checked by right-click and selecting the Properties/Details tab.  Even though the Cubase/Nuendo plugin download is numbered v1.0.7, the actual DLL version is 1.0.5.0.

Once you've installed the driver you'll have to set up the AlphaTrack in Cubase as well.  Windows unfortunately will have created a new MIDI port (called something like "2 AlphaTrack", but you can rename its display name in Cubase,
so first off exclude that from the "All MIDI in" ports, then add the AT as a remote controller, and set its ports to AlphaTrack.

Now you can safely leave the AT plugged in all the time without crashing!

Funky D wrote:

Will a similar fix be made for the Tranzport, since it faces the same bluescreen problem?

the same fix noted in this thread for ALphaTrack (before it's update) also works for TranzPort.  So if you are using it with one of the "native mode" plugins (such as Cubase or Sonar) you can just delete the registry key that starts up the applet:

"TranzPortApplet"="TranaPortApplet.exe"

Once this key is deleted you can shutdown Windows 7 without the BSOD!

Hope this helps.

Thanks hybernation... I'm currently using that trick and all is working.  I was just hoping there would be a proper fix!

It should be on its way soon.  Thanks for your patience.

CS

The TranzPort Windows driver version 1.5.0 has been released and is on the TranzPort's Download page. It fixes the crash-on-shutdown (or killing TranzPort via task manager) bug.

Suggested procedure for upgrading:
1. Disconnect TranzPort USB transceiver
2. Run the 1.5.0 Installer from our site at the link below.
3. Reconnect TranzPort, and follow the onscreen prompts.

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort/Downloads

CS